Gym Bag Essentials
At some point we’ve all been there: buzzing with energy from your pre-workout, feeling great from all your favourite songs blasting out on the drive to the gym; you are in your zone and ready to destroy your workout. You walk in the gym feeling like a boss, reach in your bag to grab your headphones but hold on, I’m sure I put them in my bag?
Let’s be honest, it's not just headphones either, ever forgotten to pack a pair of socks? Or you go for a post workout shower just to realise you have no towel? Or even worse ladies, you get halfway through your workout to get a visit from mother nature, unprepared, not ideal.
So, how do we avoid these situations? Come prepared! Pre pack your gym bag so it’s ready to go at a moment’s notice. To help you out, I’ve created a list of gym bag essentials so you’re never caught off guard again.
1) Spare outfit. This includes a full outfit from head to toe, may sound excessive but here’s why:
Workout top - I once spilt my entire post workout protein shake all over myself by not fastening the lid correctly- having a spare top saved me!
Sports bra - Don’t try wearing your work bra. I’ve tried it, it’s definitely not the same!
Leggings - Just in case you have a mother nature incident, thank me later.
Underwear - As above ladies, don’t worry, I got you!
Socks - Because sweaty feet in gym shoes is pretty gross let’s be honest.
2) Protein powder, pre-workout and BCAAs - Your pre, post and during workout fuel. Food of course is your primary source for all of these, but for when you need that extra boost, having these three essentials in your gym bag comes in handy. Now obviously carrying full size tubs isn’t particularly travel friendly so pop a few scoops of each into travel friendly containers for extra convenience.
3) Headphones - music can be such a powerful tool when working out. I keep an extra pair of headphones in my gym bag, just in case for some reason I forget to bring my usual ones. The thought of doing one of the 30 minute LISS workouts from the Tone & Sculpt app with no headphones? No thanks! If you can pack a spare pair, do it!
4) Sanitary items - Mother nature loves to turn up at the most inconvenient times. At home with nothing to do but curl up and watch movies? You’re probably safe. New workout class that your gym crush just happens to be at? Of course she shows up now! Be ready, pack tampons or sanitary towels or a moon cup -whatever you use - and thank me later.
5) Hand sanisters - According to a study free weights hold up to 362 times more bacteria than a toilet seat. Enough said. Use your sanister.
6) Water bottle - Up to 60% of the adult human body is water, keep your water bottle with you to ensure you stay hydrated, and that’s not just for the gym but throughout the day too. Use the Tone & Sculpt app water tracker to keep on target. In fact, put this blog on pause for a moment and go drink some water you beautiful hydrated being!
So there we have it, my list of gym bag essentials to help get you started. If you are a more advanced gym goer you may want to consider these additional extras, but don’t stress if you don’t have these, you can still have a great workout without them:
- Liquid chalk
- Weightlifting shoes
- Resistance bands
- Bar pad
Remember, as nice as all these things are to have, it ultimately comes down to you and your workout. So even if you do leave your headphones behind one day, don’t let that stop you from making progress towards your fitness goals - you got this! Let me know what your gym bag must haves are in the comments below.