How to Deadlift
What is a Stiff Leg Deadlift?
Stiff leg deadlifts are an amazing exercise for strengthening the posterior chain. It can benefit your lower back strength, your posture, hip flexion and extension, and building muscle mass in your glutes and hamstrings. It is also a great exercise for your core, be sure to engage your core, use proper form and do not go too heavy on weight load, to prevent strain on the lower back.
Muscles used: Hamstrings, Glutes, Back, Abdominals
Variations: Cable Stiff Leg Deadlifts, Dumbbell Stiff Leg Deadlifts
1) Stand with the barbell vertically in front of you, feet no wider than shoulder width apart and inline with the bar
2) Keep your back straight, head neutral, chest out and shoulders back
3) Grip the bar just outside of the feet with an overhand grip so your palms are facing the body
4) Knees should have a slight bend, be sure not to lock the knees at any point during the movement
4) Push through the heels of the feet and extend the hips, bringing the bar up with you and keeping it close to the body, until you are in a neutral standing position
5) Hinge at the hips and control the bar back down to your starting position